Effective: October 14, 2013
- The Knowji Platform and your data
- Our principles with respect to your data and your privacy
- The information we collect about you
- How we use your personal information
- How we share your personal information
- Your choices with respect to your personal information
- How to contact us regarding privacy issues
The Knowji Platform and your data
We designed the Knowji Platform to be a preeminent learning tool that helps you learn and remember everything. The information we collect helps us to continually improve the Platform and maximize learning effectiveness for our users.
Information we collect about you
We collect personal information about you from various sources:
Information we collect automatically
There is certain information that we collect automatically as the result of your use of the Platform, specifically through the use of web analytics services as described in the Cookies and Similar Technology section below. This information includes:
- the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the device from which you access the Platform (this can sometimes be used to derive the country or city from which you are accessing the Platform)
- the site that you visited immediately prior to visiting the Website
- the specific actions that you take on the Platform, including the pages that you visit, item drilling statistics, connecting your Facebook account, sharing Knowji with another user, emailing lesson status reports, App configuration settings, and resetting all Lessons.
- the time, frequency and duration of your visits to the Platform
- your browser type and operating system
- the nature of the device from which you are accessing the Platform, for example, whether you are accessing the Platform from a personal computer or from a mobile device
- information collected through Cookies and Similar Technology, as described below
- information regarding your interaction with email messages, for example, whether you opened, clicked on, or forwarded the email message
Information from Other Sources
How we use your personal information
We use the information that we collect about you for the following purpose:
- If you sign up for our newsletter, your email address will be used to send you newsletters, and marketing messages. For information about how to unsubscribe from newsletters, and marketing, please see the Choice and Control section, below.
Your personal information is also used for the following general purposes:
- To analyze the use of the Platform, and the people visiting the Platform in order to improve the learning effectiveness of the Platform.
- To customize your use of the Platform and/or the content of any email newsletter or other material that we may send to you from time to time.
- For other purposes, provided we disclose this to you at the relevant time, and provided that you agree to the proposed use of your personal information.
Sharing of your personal information
- With your consent: We will disclose your personal information if you have explicitly agreed that we may do so. In particular, we will disclose personal information where you have elected to have your activity on the Platform published to other networks such as Facebook. For information on how to control the information that your share, please see the Choice and Control section below.
- If required by law: We will disclose your personal information if we believe in good faith that we are permitted or required to do so by law, including in response to a court order, subpoena or other legal demand or request.
- In the context of a business transfer: We may disclose your personal information to any person or company that acquires all or substantially all of the assets or business of Knowji, or on a merger of our business, or in the event of our insolvency.
Cookies and similar technology
At this time, we solely use Google Analytics as a means to track user interactions on our Platform.
Please note that Google only receives your truncated IP address. This is sufficient for Google to identify (approximately) the country from which you are visiting the Website, but is not sufficient to identify you, or your computer or mobile device, individually.
Choice and Control
We do our best to give you as much choice as possible regarding the amount of personal information you provide to us, and the control you have over that information. It is not necessary for you to provide us with any information in order to visit the Website or use the App, although certain information will be collected automatically by virtue of your visit (as described above). However, if you do decide to provide us with personal information, you can control that personal information in the following ways.
Unsubscribe from our Newsletter
You can unsubscribe from our Newsletter here, and thereby remove your email address from our mailing list.
Sharing with other Networks
If you log in to Facebook using the App, and you configure your App Settings to have Knowji post your lesson achievements to Facebook, those achievements will appear on your Facebook wall. If you do not want this information shared with Facebook, please change your App Settings.
You can use the settings within your browser to control the cookies that are set on your computer. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to reject and delete cookies, please visit: http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
To disable being tracked by Google Analytics in a Knowji App, go to the App Settings page, and switch off Analytics. If the App Settings page for an App does not provide a way to enable/disable analytics tracking, then that App does not track analytics.
To opt-out of being tracked by Google Analytics in the App, on our website and other websites, please visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
We do not knowingly collect any personal, individually identifiable information from any person who is under the age of 13. If it comes to our attention that we have collected personal data from a person under the age of 13, we will delete this information as quickly as possible. If you have reason to believe that we may have collected any such data, please notify us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t want to give us your information?